What is a monitor profile and do I need one?

Started Jun 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,663Gear list
Like?
Re: What is a monitor profile and do I need one?
In reply to DavidC, Jun 13, 2012

David, I don't have a Spectraview monitor. However, I expect that you should set the monitor to sRGB emulation mode and do a hardware calibration of the monitor. This would load the monitor sRGB mode calibration in the monitor, and it would then be accurately calibrated in sRGB mode. I suspect that if you switch back to full gamut mode, you would then need to re-characterize the display.

Note that with the Spectraview software, the monitor calibration LUT (what normally would be applied in the graphics card) is actually applied in the monitor (at 10-bits/channel if I recall correctly). However, the ICC profile (what describes the code value to colorimetric characteristics of the monitor) is stored in the Windows color folder along with the rest of the device profiles. Since the characteristics of every particular monitor is somewhat different from every other, you should use a hardware device to calibrate & characterize your monitor for optimum results.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow