is this good basic starting lighting kit (180W STUDIO FLASH LIGHT KIT + STAND + UMBRE

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,323Gear list
Like?
Re: is this good basic starting lighting kit (180W STUDIO FLASH LIGHT KIT + STAND + U
In reply to Haithamcz, Jun 13, 2012

My first kit was two of those (or some very like in appearance) with umbrella & brollybox modifiers. I sold them to someone who will only use them rarely, so they now have a good home. You can adjust output power with the little knob in the middle.

The whole thing is made from plastic and vil easily break. I managed to avoid that, but I was extremely careful - and lucky. Two more things I disliked about them:

1. as they were charging, they would emit loud beeps every ½ second and

2. they are almost impossible to use with modifiers other than umbrellas, as they have not got a bayonet for mounting accessories. You can use a so-called Universal Speedring, but I will not recommend it. It will slide off the lamp or break something if you tighten the screw to much.

As I understand it, Alien Bees is the no-brainer solution in the US. Users love them, but I have no personal experience.
Good luck.
--
Less is more

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow