Started Jun 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,333Gear list
Like?
Re: Look at RX100 and imagine next generaton NEX sensor
In reply to Rehabdoc, Jun 13, 2012

Rehabdoc wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

I was talking sensors, you are talking cameras.

The 7 uses higher pixel count to compensate for an, inferior imo, pixel sensor.

Seems like an odd way to put it. It has a high pixel count, for which they have to trade off a little more high ISO noise.

As long as you compare output at same resolution, the 7 compares favorably. But you can't crop (unless low ISO). It is kind of like throwing all those extra pixels away.

Again, an odd way to put it. The NEX7 does allow you to crop, and a substantial number of photographers, live at low ISOs, shooting daylight and shooting studio.

If you argue that more pixels is always better, because you can combine them, then I agree, but we need to start talking effective pixel counts then.

Why? Sometimes the resolution is the resolution. And in gaining very high MP counts for absolutely stunning low ISO images, a sensor practically out resolving the lenses, it seems to have made only little tradeoff in high ISO noise with the smaller pixels.

I'm not saying the NEX-7 sensor is always better, but there are clearly situations in which it's categorically better than the NEX 5N's. And vice versa at high ISO, per some 5N users. Ymmv.

Your only point is that the 7 has more pixels.

If you pixel peep at low ISO, it is impressive, but so are even the P&S at 100 ISO, before the noise reduction kicks in.

I guess that the race for more pixels is on. It's just that I rarely see pixels, I see pictures. And the 5N has cleaner pictures sometimes, especially for low light and WA. Still feels to me that the 7 was compromised for higher pixel count.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow