Trip of a life time, limited funds. What lens?

Started Jun 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Railyard
Railyard New Member • Posts: 5
Trip of a life time, limited funds. What lens?

I'm going to Greece in September for my honeymoon. I expect to take shots of the ancient temples/architecture, various landscapes of nature and cities, interesting "travel shots" of people, culture, etc., and the usual pics of me and the spouse at the beaches, attractions, etc.

I have a t1i with the kit lens (18-55). I want a lens to complement what I currently have, with a budget of no more than $300.

A) I really like sharpness in my photos and was considering the 50 mm 1.8, thinking that a prime would give me extra sharp focus, low-light abilities (I'm anticipating some low-light frescoes in old Byzantine churches), and bokeh. I am right on the sharpness for a prime, right? I also like to travel light.

B) Also in my price range is the 55-250 mm zoom lens with IS. The zoom would give me lots of artistic options and reach shots I could not with a 50 mm. But, I worry about if I lose some of the sharpness going this route.

I will have a travel tripod, but probably only use it sparingly - will be running around to various islands, attractions and trudging through Athens for the trip (not to mention being busy with, you know, other honeymoon stuff). So I guess IS or low-light capability is important.

Which of the two options would you get? Or is there something else in my price range I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, suggestions, hyperbole, haiku, etc.

Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow