ginsbu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420Gear list
Like?
Re: Hiking Tripod Suggestions with EM5?
In reply to pixelcollector, Jun 13, 2012

pixelcollector wrote:

ginsbu wrote:

If size is an absolute priority, this might be your best bet:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822241-REG/Sirui_BSRT025_T_025_5_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

At under 12" folded, it really is substantially smaller than most of the other "traveller" options. Full extended it's adequately high, though less stable; collapse the last leg segment and column when stability matters more. I haven't bought it yet, but I have played with it in the shop and plan on getting one before my next trip.

i've looked at this one in a shop and decided to go for the MUCH cheaper and only slightly heavier aluminum version. If anything the aluminum feels nicer and inspires more confidence, imo.

I also compared them. The CF version is ridiculously light — it does almost feel like a toy — and, as you say, the weight difference isn't much. My concern with the aluminum version is vibration damping: the thin legs are very "twangy", even without the smallest segments extended. CF has much better vibration damping characteristics, and the difference was really obvious. For longer exposures and/or windy conditions, this matters. (Of course, there are limits to what such a small and light tripod can do under such conditions regardless of material.) That led me to favor the CF version for $90 more.

ginsbu's gear list:ginsbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow