Started Jun 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pmow
Contributing MemberPosts: 801Gear list
Like?
Harassed at Best Buy store
Jun 13, 2012

Recently I was given the opportunity to do some consulting work for a first-generation Mac Pro. I took the Mac Pro home and needed a keyboard, and stopped by the local electronics store to pick up one of those fancy Apple keyboards. To kill some time, I walked over to the camera section (of course) to check out the new F3 and other cameras/accessories they might have at this particular store.

That's when I saw this bad boy:

I picked it up, and through a fortune of luck it was actually working! Granted, this thing is about 3-4X as heavy as my 5N, but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. So I proceeded to snap a few pics, testing the autofocus as best I knew how: with moving subjects.

I avoided taking pictures of the same people more than 3-4 frames, and quickly moved on. Nobody cared, or even seemed to - this "kid" was testing out a camera, and each photo replaced the one prior. After about 4 subjects, the last one walks by the camera section and muttered something under his breath. He said it again, "you shouldn't be taking pictures of people in here".

We proceeded to have a lengthy "discussion" about how I was infringing his right to not have a picture taken (never heard of such a thing). I said it was a store, and that I was testing out the camera (which btw is about $3800!). He told me to check the film, and see his "photos of myself", to which I responded that they are actually mine, if I even had film or a memory card. Thankfully, I've dealt with difficult situations before being in the legal field and was able to defend myself by referencing the law. He continued to talk about this supposed right in a private place (a store?) and I invited him to call over the store manager to discuss any policies the electronics chain may have. I reiterated that I know the law, and that if the discussion is about that, I'm covered.

At that point he said "I know the law too", and let me sneak a peek at a copper/gold badge. This all took place in Miami, where photographers are arrested for taking pictures of cops and the US government has even gotten involved. ( http://www.pdnonline.com/news/Department-of-Justic-5735.shtml ) He then stated unequivocably "I'm not a cop". Anyone know what that badge might be for?

The situation ended by me not taking any more pictures, and the guy finally walking away. I guess he wanted to argue about something. The last thing I need right now is to fall in love with a $4k piece of equipment.

Mr. Non-Police aside, I would've been happy to stop taking pictures of someone had they actually walked up and not been tools about it. I've never been asked to stop with the 5N however.

pmow's gear list:pmow's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
easyNew
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow