The E-M5 cannot replace a DSLR.

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: A D3 is hardly a representative dSLR though.
In reply to windsprite, Jun 13, 2012

I have always understood the D3 and D700 to have the same AF system, including processing power...

Well, I'll report back on the OM-D C-AF. Apart from DonParrot nobody seems to have taken the trouble to get to know it well yet, and as I well know the D3/D700 C-AF is junk if you don't get your head around it first.

windsprite wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Why not pick up a second hand D3? I'd say the D700's frame rate makes it suboptimal for sports shooting and action.

We've discussed this before, I think. I'm generally not a "spray and pray" kind of girl. The D700 does a respectable 5 fps, even tracking a fast-moving subject, and importantly, it holds the focus during the high frame rate. That's mostly plenty for my purposes. It will do 8 fps with the grip, but I don't know if it's worth the money and extra weight for me. I have a D2H that does 8-9 fps when I want a higher frame rate. It only has 4MP, but supposedly it has a weak AA filter, so it's more like a 6-7 MP camera.

The D3 has the same AF module as the D700, but with more processing power behind it. I would love to have one, or even better (as the older pro models go), a D3S. But I shoot other things besides action, and the smaller D700/D800 is the better all-round camera for me.

Julie

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow