Started Jun 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
taffee2222
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
bad dsl connection
Jun 13, 2012

Hi, I was wondering what others thoughts are on this. I think I have a pretty good understanding of my system and how the dsl connection works, etc. Lately, I noticed it slowing down, this past weekend it almost came to a dead stop. The dsl light kept flashing red on the external modem, I changed phone jacks, it worked a little better then cut out. I have ATT dsl, linksys router, there are a total of 3 laptops and 1 internet radio.....95% of the time the only thing in use is my computer. I run weekly maintenance on my computer and use C cleaner to clear the files...that I use every day. Sorry to ramble here....I have the dsl plan that is 6.0 Kpbs (download speed)....I know they only have to provide 3.04. I was using speedtest.net which was giving me results anywhere from .007 to .68. This was in the middle of the night...shouldn't be high volume of usage at 0300. I called them, they had to do a few things while I was on the phone 90 min with them. They had me use their att.com/speedtest site...of course the result was reading in the +3.0-4.0....I went back and tried the speedtest.net...it was still reading around 1.40. I found 2 other sites which are testing out around the same lower #'s. This was all done on chrome..I know this is the connection speed , not the browser speed, but for the heck of it , I checked out att speedtest on IE and Opera....the results were around 1.40...that doesnt make any sense as the fastest browser using the jstest ended up being IE. Videos still aren't running without stopping for a few seconds and I don't know...maybe I should buy a new modem if things start going south again....it isn't under warranty and I don't want them coming out and getting a service charge. I just find it odd that there is such a discrepancy in the test values. I think they have their site set up showing bogus results......thoughts??? thanks for letting me vent...nancy

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow