Help choosing a camera

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
Good bang for the buck....
In reply to bethendicott, Jun 13, 2012

bethendicott wrote:

My husband and I need a new camera. We have had several p&s, but we are wanting to upgrade to a mirrorless interchangeable lens so we can learn more and have a camera that will grow with us for a few years. We don't want to get in over our heads with a dslr just yet...and we also don't want all of the bulk that comes along with it.

Our main subjects will be our kids around the house and around town...outdoors in sunlight and inside in low light.

This is going to be a learning experience for both of us...learning all of the manual controls and how to use this camera to make our photos look much better than previously. So, if you have any advice on where to start learning (books, websites, etc) I would appreciate that as well!!!

Also, we are wanting to stay around $600 or less....definitely not wanting to invest in a $1k+ system as this time. If there is a good option for our needs at a lower price range, we are open to that since we are going in as newbies

I have been looking at the Sony NEX systems, Olympus pen systems, And the Nikon 1 systems (although I haven't heard the best things about those). I am open at looking at others as well.
Thanks so much!!

right now is the E-pl2 with additional lenses.

Cameta has kit deals on this camera right now. You can get it with two lenses for much less than $600 and that will cover pretty much all of your shooting needs.

If you really want to learn about photography, pick up a manual legacy lens and an adapter (total cost less than $50.00) and you will get great quaility shots and learn how to control depht of field, etc.

the E-pl2 also has the built in flash that can be used as a controler for off camera flash if you want to get into portrait work-somthing that would be appealing as your children grow.

You can really get proffesional results with this camera and manual legacy lenses.

If you decide photography isn't for you, you can probably sell it for about what you paid for it.

Tedolph, RIP

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ha!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow