Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
john enea
Regular MemberPosts: 120
Like?
NIkon 85mm f2 AI-S what a little gem of a lens
Jun 12, 2012

went for a qucik wine tasting and decided if I was to bring a camera i was gonna go lite. so took the grip off my D700 (which I never do) and grabbed the 85mm f2 ai-s. A friend had given me this lens along with the 24mm 2.8 ai-s and the 35-135 ai-s. I had used them on an old FE2 to check them out but the lab destroyed the film and as such I never got around to trying the lens out till now.

I have been thinking hard about getting the new 85g b ut after today I'll think I'll wait and see what I can actually do with the ai-s. These photos were given a minimal amount of PP sharpening and thats it. Pretty much as they came out of the camera. RAW conversion in PS5. The sharpness as pretty damn good, the contrast is excellent and need I mention the focusing? Smooth, smooth, smooth. I now know why my dad fell in love with the old manual focus lenses. this gem puts manual override of any of my AF lenses to shame! It just begs to be used and used. Also, this thing is a solid piece of metal. No plastic here thank you very much. And man is it small. just slightly bigger than my 50 af-d. I will be searching out for more of the ai-s lenses

All in all I really like this lens and it will now have a part in my rotation. I was worried about getting things in focus and I'm sure with more experience it will become just like using any other lens. The pix below might not be the greatest, but they just made me smile when I saw how nice they looked as I was pleasantly surprised. comments as always are welcome.

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow