The E-M5 cannot replace a DSLR.

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
We may be talking at cross purposes...
In reply to marike6, Jun 12, 2012

The E-M5 has a very quick frame rate. Yes, you only get AF on the first shot. Fine by me.

D800 and E-M5 both have near instant focus.

I was very impressed when I borrowed a D800, and I think it and the E-M5 are the two outstanding cameras of the last year or so. But the E-M5 is considerably quicker and more responsive in my opinion.

marike6 wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I have no need whatever of C-AF.

Not sure what you meant then my "the E-M5 is faster than most DSLRs". In AF Single Shot, my D800 focusses nearly instantaneously and does so with light as low as -2 EV.

But for me AF speed is not an issue with any of the cameras I've owned. Accuracy is far more important to me. But even with cameras that have issues, I have absolutely no objections to using MF, even though I'm not a fan of focus-by-wire.

Further, my experience with the D3 was if you wanted C-AF to do a decent job, shooting at full chat was asking trouble (because the mirror was down too little time to give the sensors much of a chance). I understand the D4 is much better in this respect.

I've not be so lucky as to shoot with a D3, but certainly at the time it was the state of the art. Now it's the D4 and the 1DX (if we ever actually see one) that hold this distinction.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow