Camera choice for a 10 year old keen birder on a budget!

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mike Childs
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
Camera choice for a 10 year old keen birder on a budget!
Jun 12, 2012

I know there is a wealth of experience available on this forum and I would like to tap into it in order to help out a keen young birder on a budget of approx 100GBP.

Two weeks ago I took him (10 years old) to a local wetlands trust site and gave him the use of my E510 with the 70-300 attached while I shot with my E3.

I had forgotten what it was like to be 10... full of curiosity and wild enthusiasm to the tune of some 567 frames shot in 4 hours! Some instruction was taken and a 30 % keeper rate produced some nice prints for him to frame. At home he has a several bird feeding stations and is able to approach within 10ft without disturbing the birds. If his interest is sustained over the longer term it would be desireable for him to learn about shutter speed, aperture and exposure so a camera with a reasonable zoom and programable features should fit the bill. I have some in mind, available on e-bay, but I don't want to influence the dicussion so I'll offer no opinion here.

What would YOU recommend?

Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow