Panasonic GF3 vs. NEX 5N (thinking of selling of my NEX)

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,073Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic GF3 vs. NEX 5N (thinking of selling of my NEX)
In reply to nadashot, Jun 12, 2012

nadashot wrote:

Just wanted to say that I just came across a Panasonic GF3 with 14-45mm + 14 mm f2.5 kit for about 260 euro (about 320 usd). It was new from a retailer with a two year guarantee. As I own a Nex-5n i can see that it's picture quality is a tad better with the 5n (only when looking @ 100%), but mostly over iso 800. If you keep both cameras at iso 800 or below there is really not that much of a difference. I shoot RAW.

You will like the focus speed of the GF3 I imagine, I was blown away with how fast that camera focuses.

So, for a casual shooter like me the GF3 seems like great value at the price I paid. I've owned a lot of cameras and lenses (look in my gallery) looking for the best value and the GF3 really delivers that. With the 14mm kit lens you get a camera that almost as small as a point and shoot, but with a large sensor. With the 14-42 it delivers almost the same vacation pictures as my nex. I also use a lot of manual focus lenses, and nex has the upper hand here. But the GF3 is about the same, with it's PiP mode.

The bottom line is the difference is 2/3 f/stop, that isn't a lot, but not negligible either. It might be a problem if you want to get shallow depth of field at wide angles as well.

So my question is really, is it worth carrying a nex in a jacket pocket, when you can carry the GF3 in the jeans pocket?

I don't think it is that much smaller, I don't think I would carry it in my jeans pocket, but that is me. Obviously the kit zoom on the NEX is a lot larger.

Had anyone here shot a photo that didn't print well and wished they had a bigger sensor than 18 mm × 13.5 mm.

Not really, but I do prefer the larger sensors

My question is purely based for the average photographer who shoots most if their "keepers" on vacation and such. The reason that I post here is that I used NEX since it was new on the market.

Exactly, when I wish I absolutely had the larger sensor is when I am shooting a paid event or something. All my other photography is for fun and I don't need the large sensors for that. If you have both, I would use them both for a short while and see if you like one more than the other.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow