Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
radsaq
Contributing MemberPosts: 699Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 100-300mm - poor performer
In reply to Robiro, Jun 12, 2012

Robiro wrote:

radsaq wrote:

The 100-300mm shots are all at 1/125s and the 200mm shots are all at 1/250s.

Yes. I noticed immediately that at identical apertures Zeiss was still pushing more light to the sensor, allowing the camera to shoot at faster speeds. What was I supposed to do? Increase ISO?

The photos with the Zeiss also look darker, so it may just be a quirk of the metering (in the same way that the white balance comes out vastly differently, though I assume the zoom also has a lot more elements and is losing more light internally). And of course, increasing ISO is also going to negatively impact critical sharpness, so I don't think there's really any other option than camera support.

This too might be the case with me. I was probably expecting more than was reasonable to expect. There is nothing wrong with my 100-300 lens. It is just that I expected unrealistic results.

You wouldn't be the only one. "What? I can't get super-sharp shots at 1/125s hand-holding a 16MP camera with a 600mm EFL lens even with IS? :(" says the inexperienced photographer inside of me.

-- hide signature --
 radsaq's gear list:radsaq's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow