Panasonic 100-300mm - poor performer

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
bencr
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 100-300mm - poor performer
In reply to Robiro, Jun 12, 2012

I have gotten very good results from the 100-300 on both a G3 and an OM-D. However, shooting at 600mm equivalent focal length requires good technique. It took me a while to figure out its boundaries. @300mm it is definitely less sharp than @200mm, but images can still be acceptably sharp at f5.6 and at f8 they are a little better. That only applies if you are on a tripod or keeping the camera acceptably still (which I have never been able to do at 1/125 as your shots were done). I like to keep the shutter speed at 1/500 or higher when possible, and if there isn't enough light at 1/320 then I accept that I need a tripod or the image almost assuredly won't be critically sharp. All the manufacturers talk about IS buying you 3, 4, or 5 stops of hand-holdability is marketing hype. It definitely helps, and without it just framing and getting focus where you want it would be much more difficult, but for critical sharpness it doesn't buy me personally more than 1 stop with such a long telephoto. Your mileage may vary of course.

bencr's gear list:bencr's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow