D800 vs 5DIII. This one will be tougher to guess.

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
amobi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,663
Like?
Re: D800 vs 5DIII. This one will be tougher to guess.
In reply to cpkuntz, Jun 12, 2012

I know what you mean. I used 7D for backup for some time but I never liked that camera. I could have taken this particular shot without flash but a little bit of flash does not hurt. I shoot based on the type of client I have. Some are easy to please some are very technical.

cpkuntz wrote:

They display the same traits as the previous image. The first is Nikon, the second is Canon. They are both in focus this time, but I think the flash created a more pleasant appearance in the Canon again. Perhaps this comes down to the flash units used? The dresses look more similar this time, but the skin tones are still different in a way that was seen in the last image. They're both good and I can't decide which one looks more accurate since I wasn't there, but to me the Canon looks better somehow. I do feel like I can see certain details better in the Nikon (the top). For example, look at the wrinkles in some of the dresses. However, this could also come down to flash or color balance. The other reason the Canon may look better (to my eyes) could simply come down to down sampling, but that is a stab in the dark.

I find that pictures taken using natural light gives a major advantage in overall image quality to full frame cameras, but this is less the case when flash units are used. Crop sensor cameras give good results close to full frame when bounce flash or umbrellas or studio lights are used. The main difference then seems to be field of view. Again, in natural light, full frame cameras are in another league. This is just my experience shooting with a 7D and a 5D Mark III, though.

Nice group portraits, by the way.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow