Color mixing with gels. What colors do I need?

Started Jun 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GoodAsh03
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Color mixing with gels. What colors do I need?
Jun 12, 2012

Hello. My name is Jeremy. I am working on an art project that involves color mixing with gels. I'm using a 40 watt type B incandescent bulb as the light source. There will be four of these bulbs, each one in a separate art piece. One bulb must emit the color red, another aqua blue, another pink and the last one yellow. Each colored bulb will then shine through a second gel that needs to turn the light's color to white or close to it. I'm trying to work out what color gels I need to accomplish this.

Here's what I've got so far:

1. Red gel + aqua blue gel = white
2. Aqua blue gel + red gel = white (duh, I know :))
3. Yellow gel + blue gel = white
4. Pink gel + ??? gel = white

I came up with the first three by looking at the "additive color" page on Wikipedia. Did I get those right? I know that color mixing with gels is like a fine art and that describing gel colors is hard due to the gel companies' different formulations. Also, I'm not taking into account the 40W bulb's color temperature. But if anyone could clarify for me more specifically what colors I should use to get close to the desired effect, that would be really helpful.

Also, what color combines with pink to make white?

I have some experience using gels from films I have volunteered on, but not much. Any advice I can get would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Jeremy

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow