Successfully using a Manfrotto product table?

Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
Re: Shooting tables R Us...
In reply to UKphotographers, Jun 12, 2012

UKphotographers wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

It's even less successful when trying to backlight the white background into a coloured one, using filter gels over the backlights. The front lighting washes out the colour in the general area, but leaves the shadows LESS de-saturated! Coloured shadows on pastel-ified backgrounds is not a good look.

If you put your mind to it, I'm sure you could figure how its done. Its not too difficult and saturation has never been a problem when I've done it. Each requirement needs a twist on the same basic solution, I find.

If that is what you prefer....

Nowadays I find it's easier to retouch to my heart's content in Photoshop than to mess about with large and potentially dangerous sheets of plate glass. In this I feel the same as Peter.

Besides, I haven't got over the boss I once had comitting our studio to shooting a whole catallogue of hand tools on glass... thus relieving the invoice of any "painting-out-of-the-background" costs. The client was thrilled at the prospect of the money saved...

... but then the client had shown the boss some chisels and packets of hacksaw blades, suggesting these were typical of the subject matter...

Ha! I wished they were!

The first group of items to arrive at the studio included 3 sledge hammers (to appear in one picture!) and a sewing machine... that is, a TREADLE type sewing machine intended for use in remote villages with no electricity!

I am very circumspect about glass top photography... and don't do it very often. When I do it's with glass 20x16" and never bigger.
--
Regards,
Baz

"Ahh... But the thing is, they were not just ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow