Walk around lens

Started Jun 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tim A2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099
Like?
Re: Walk around lens
In reply to Marc Sabatella, Jun 12, 2012

Marc Sabatella wrote:

In my experience, when newcomers to DSLR photography make initial posts about not being happy with the IQ from their new cameras, and then post images they are not happy with, I generally see some combination of the following:

• not controlling where the camera is trying to focus

• trying to focus closer than the minimum focus distance

• turning the focus ring to infinity to shoot landscapes rather than actually focusing

• not choosing a small enough aperture to give enough DOF to get the amount of the scene in focus one wants

• choosing too small an aperture in an attempt to maximize DOF and thus creating diffraction as well as slowing down shutter speed or requiring an increase in ISO

• using too slow a shutter speed for the focal length (which often comes from not choosing a large aperture and/or high enough ISO)

• using a higher ISO than is required by the situation

• not waiting for SR to activate

• using JPEG settings (eg, "natural" mode) that do only minimal enhancement of an image, and then expecting results to be similar to the over-processed look of a typical P&S camera

• using a "UV" (which I think stands for "unnecessary and very-bad") filter

• not using a hood

Marc Sabatella

Thank you Marc. This is such a good comprehensive list it is a shame it's buried in a thread like this. I passed this on to my granddaughter, who has done some remarkable work with a P&S, and has just now started using a DSLR (my old K10d), so you certainly helped get her off to a good start. This is quite a checklist. One needs to be focused on what he is doing before pressing the shutter.
--
http://flickr.com/photos/tim_a/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow