Side by Side video, D800 vs OMD - Very good comparison

Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Amazed at the detail from the nikon.
In reply to Landscapephoto99, Jun 11, 2012

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

Yawnnnnnn, yes such a great sensor that the video is in most ways inferior to the E-M5 which is 1/4 the weight and price.

Firstly, the video is not inferior at all to the EM-5. The EM-5 has good IBIS, but keep in mind that the D800 was shot without a stabilized lens, and it was just as sharp, but much more film-like, with bokeh that simply cannot be matched by the EM-5 or the GH2 for that matter. Also way more aliasing on the EM-5, and digital sharpening give it a somewhat brittle, crunchy look. Some like this almost camcorder-like look, but I'm not a fan.

The lack of 24p and no mike input is a deal-breaker for many, and I didn't even mention what having clean uncompressed video via HDMI means for professional production.

I also didn't mention the way better AF performance, especially tracking, but since you brought it up, to see an example of OM-D tracking a large ship. It hunts continuously when trying to lock onto this ocean liner.

https://vimeo.com/groups/em5/videos/42100049

I can tell you that this would never happen on the D800, especially not with a subject this huge and slow moving.

Go back to your Nikon forums fanboy.

People shoot all types of cameras, and many, like me, have multiple brands. Calling someone a fanboy just because they make an observation about another brand is so lame.

By the way, snapper1967 is right on the money. The D800 has a terrific sensor, probably the best right now in all of photography. This fact has zero to do with the OM-D which is a fine camera.

snapper1967 wrote:

That is one heck of a sensor in the D800!

Makes me want one more now.

Thanks for the time.
--
Just enjoy what you do.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow