Started Jun 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Theodoros Fotometria
Senior MemberPosts: 2,090
Like?
D800E with Nikkor 12-24mm DX at 1.2x crop
Jun 11, 2012

I found that the 12-24mm Nikkor DX works very well with the D800E at the 1.2x crop mode, to have a vignette free image it needs 13mm but 12mm is usable because the heavy vignetting is only very small at the furthest corners. In fact the full width of the image can be kept at 12mm if a 16:9 or 2:1 crop is used. The corners of the image are a bit soft at 13mm, but at 14mm f5,6 are definitely useable, from 15mm on the lens is superb at any aperture across the frame!

Note that 14mm is 16.8mm FF equivalent and 1.2x crop is 25.5mpx, ...17mm distortion free, now that is something isn't it?

What is more, the distortion of the lens is practically non existent at any focal length and of course the lens remains one of the most flare resistant lenses ever made...

So I decided to sell my 14-24 which is one of the worst lenses in flare handling, I did keep my 17-35 f2.8 though for the range and speed!

Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow