Is it worth it?

Started Jun 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
sweetsonic
Regular MemberPosts: 349
Like?
Re: Is it worth it?
In reply to LoveMachine, Jun 11, 2012

LoveMachine wrote:

I have had a D700 for several months and just recently bought a used 24-70 f2.8 I also had ordered a D800 that I had planned on either reselling or returning if I couldn't sell it. The thought going through my head now is would it be worth it to sell my D700 and 24-70 to pay for and keep the D800? I'd only have a 50mm 1.8D and 70-300 4.5-5.6 ED to use with the D800 if I kept it. To give you a better idea of what I'd use it for I shoot backup for weddings (haven't ventured out on my own yet), architecture, landscape, and my 5 month old son. Thoughts?

I was also hoping to choose between reselling and keeping my D700 or keeping the D800. But I'll never know because I just decided today to cancel my B&H pre-order. This whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. Wasted 3-4 months being camera-less until deciding to re-buy the D700.

My conclusion is that while so many features of the D800 are very attractive, I have a more than capable camera that can take awe-inspiring pictures with the right skill already in the D700. It sounds like you have a realistic budget like me, and I decided it would be a better investment for me to invest in another lens and/or some other wanted accessories to use with the D700 rather than being "camera body poor". I think there's a used 80-200 or 85mm 1.8G lens out there with my name on it...and perhaps a couple ND filters for landscape. I currently have the 24-70 and 50mm 1.8G, but probably going to get rid of the 24-70 for a 16-35 soon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow