Finally I've found the lenses I was waiting for !

Started Jun 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
harry99
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
Finally I've found the lenses I was waiting for !
Jun 11, 2012

Sometimes love is waiting near you and you just can't see it...

My quest for a standard lens on D700 went like that :

50/1.4 AI-S
loved the size and finish but that was about all

CV 40/2

loved the size, the IQ, the finish ; didn't like the not-so-fast aperture, the bokeh

50/1.4G

loved the weight and the sharpness ; didn't like slow AF, weird bokeh highlights rendering, sometimes the picture would look so cold (in temperature and well, look too)

50/1.2 AI-S

absolutely loved the IQ, bokeh, handling, finish ; didn't like the missed shots, price and it was a bit too heavy

and now I've just received the 50/1.8G. Great little lens, far from perfect but just so accomplished for the price. And the travel bag is back to lighness (I swear you can feel the difference between the 1.4G and the 1.8G). Only complaint is bokeh fringing that doesn't disappear until f/2.8.

And on another focal lenght, I just replaced my ZF100/2 by one of the latest 105/2.5 AI-S (2000 series). I'm just stunned by the quality of the materials but most of all by the color, sharpness and smooth background rendition. And at least it doesn't have purple fringings everywhere (reason #one why I sold the Zeiss. reason #2 is that it's too heavy to travel with - at least to me).

Can't beat those lenses for the money IMO and to travel light without sacrificing IQ (which as everyone did get it by now, were my two primary concerns).

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow