Started Jun 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Moonlight Knight
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
OM-D E-M5 Samyang 7.5mm FOV comparison
Jun 11, 2012

I hope to use Samyang / Rokinon 7.5mm as an ultrawide angle lens on the OM-D E-M5. So I shot these test photos in Hong Kong Science Park to compare the FOV against 12mm and 14mm (using M.Zuiko 12-50mm), processed in LR4.1 - only some sharpening, with CA correction off. IBIS off. Handheld. Focus is on the tip of the golden egg at the center. (The clouds were moving so the exposures were somwhat different.)

Aperture was set to f/5.6, which according to lenstip is the sharpest edge-to-edge aperture for the 7.5mm fisheye. I can confirm that f/5.6 is indeed sharper than f/4 in the corners. These are full size photos (but heavily compressed), in order to show how wonderfully sharp the Samyang / Rokinon 7.5mm is.

Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye:

After using kenw's excellent rectilinear conversion profile (from the "most bookmarked" threads):

M.Zuiko 12-50mm @ 12mm:

M.Zuiko 12-50mm @ 14mm:

I think that comparing with the 7-14mm or the 9-18mm lenses would be more meaningful, but I don't have those lenses. Reference:
http://m43photo.blogspot.hk/2011/01/wide-angle-8mm-vs-9mm.html

Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow