Sigma 8-16mm on NEX-7, first impressions

Started May 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,812Gear list
Like?
Looking straight down from the Gateway Arch
In reply to ProfHankD, Jun 11, 2012

The Sigma 8-16mm is hard to use, but so very worth the effort.... Here's an "impossible" photo looking straight down from the top of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis:

Why impossible? Well, there are no windows there. The tiny, thick-glass, somewhat dirty, viewports on the sides of the top of the arch don't let you look straight down either, only at a 60 degree slant (it is a triangular section). Fortunately, the 8mm setting was just wide enough to capture under the arch. Thus, what you're looking at is really a simple stitch of 4 images, two taken on each side of the arch, put together using Hugin to create a cylindrical projection which I slightly tweaked in GIMP.

For what it's worth, I tried to do something like this years ago... and failed. The viewports do not really work with a fisheye and I didn't have a rectilinear lens wide enough.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow