Started Jun 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
Panasonic 20mm questions and returns
Jun 11, 2012

So I have been thinking about it more and more and I just keep thinking that I should get the Panasonic 20mm.

Of course I am concerned about focus speed and noise as a lot of people are critics of that. I am also concerned since I have an E-M5 about possible higher ISO banding. I know for that, there isn't really an answer right now. A number of people see it, a few people see banding with other lenses to (in the tiny minority there) and a few people don't see any banding with the lens.

Doing some searchs it seems like, yes the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 does focus slower than most IF m4/3 lenses, but at least with a new/newer body, the AF speed isn't actually that pitful. The noise also has been described variously as "grinding away and loud" or "Noiser than the quieter lenses, but not really that bad". Thoughts on either of those? I am fine if the AF speed is a little slower than my other lenses, but I also don't want to have stand there for days trying to lock focus with static or near static subject (I am okay if this is not my go to "kid on the run" picture taking lens).

On the question of returns, I know both B&H and Adorama are pretty good about this. I haven't had to return anything to them before, but how good are they? For example if I got the lens and saw the high ISO banding I deffinitely wouldn't want to keep it...at the same time I don't know that I'd try a million different ones to see if one will work right. Likely I'd just return it. Maybe return it and get the Sigma 19mm as I would really like to have a lens in that general focal length, but I'd prefer something smaller and brighter than the Sigma. Is it just customer pays return shipping? On exchanges just on the small chance that I do consider returning it and trying one more sample before giving up? I'd love to try before buying, but I have no options in my area for that in person.

Thanks!
--

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow