Using Minolta MF lenses

Started Jun 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
nuzzart
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
Re: Using Minolta MF lenses
In reply to John KM/linhof, Jun 11, 2012

I recently purchased the Nex-5n with Fotodiox Pro Lens Adapter. This adapter was slightly more expensive than some ($39 at Amazon). Afther reading the threads on adapters, I wanted to go with something better. There is also a cheaper version but the Pro had a removable tripod mount. This adapter connects to the camera and the lens very smoothly and solid.

I have the Minolta MC 55/1.7 and MC 28/2.5 lens and both work with the adapter. One thing I was suprised with is the size of the adapter - it's almost an inch thick for these lens. So for even a relative small legacy lens like the 55/1.7 becomes a somehwat larger lens.

I am very pleased with the sharpness of both lens, even wide open. The 55mm lens is slightly sharper than the 28mm. (I was going to post an example but for some reason I can't upload images into my gallery right now.)

The one thing I am finding is that the last time I used these lens, probably 20 years ago, I didn't have bifocal glasses. This makes it somewhat more difficult to manually focus. The Peaking and Manual Assist helps significantly.

Right now I only have legacy glass. I also have a Rexatar 135/2.8 and a Vivitar 70-210/3.5 zoom but I haven't tried those yet. Eventually i want to add some current lens- maybe the Sigma or if they release the pancake zoom.

One of the things I am considering is replacing the UV filters on these lens. They have had many years of cleaning. Also the coatings on newer filters are probably somewhat better.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow