Forgive me - a historical question...

Started Jun 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,414Gear list
Like?
Re: I've never used it
In reply to jedinstvo, Jun 11, 2012

jedinstvo wrote:

I've had an M3 since 1965 and it has the notches in the focusing frame. I was aware of how to use them but never have. In fact, until I read your post I'd totally forgotten about them. My opinion is it's too slow to use, contra to the intuitive nature of the camera. But I don't think the depth of field preview on a reflex is of much use either. I keep that info in my head. A quick check of my MP shows no dof thingy.

Thanks James, I suspect that's the whole point - nice idea, but of not that much real use in practice!

As far as the patent goes, I had the same experience with a design for a ketchup bottle. When I was covering the war in Bosnia I went to the British mess hall in Vitez for lunch. As I sat there waiting for the ketchup to come down the throat of the bottle it occurred to me that the bottle should stand on it's head. That way the ketchup would be instantly on the french fries. No waiting! I made a mental note to patent the idea as soon as I returned to the US....but while wandering around the supermarket in San Francisco I saw my ketchup bottle! Heinz had read my mind and stolen the idea! Nothing to do but buy a bottle and enjoy it.

LOL! My biggest claim to fame is that a (later) patent of mine was quoted as an example in a book on patents! Never made any money out of it though!! ;-(

Mike
--
Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow