T3i, do I need to update my photo editing software?

Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
carnaga
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
Re: T3i, do I need to update my photo editing software?
In reply to SimpleKindaEye, Jun 11, 2012

Hard question. We would be able to help you more if you would put some sample pictures demonstrating the issue. But one of the main questions is that do you shoot RAW or JPG?

In other words

RAW = compare it to digital 'Negative Image' which you need to develope. Straight out of camera shot lacks contrast, sharpness, colour and so on. It's normal that in camera screen the image is shown differently compared to the computer.
JPG = In-camera settings applied to the image. Eg. sharpness, colour, contrast.

Another question is the 12mp vs 18mp image. Sometimes it's hard to get used to 18mp image at 1:1 view after jumping from 12mp. It's normal. You should get used to it after a while.

Third question is that are the lenses focusing correctly? The default factory calibration of your lenses & body with your 1100D are correct, but they might not be tack sharp with your new 600D. In my case all lenses I have (3 of them) have been sent to warranty service for calibration. Previously all lenses were back-focusing with my camera. They made calibration for the camera body and for two lenses.

The EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS lens is quite good lens - specially the optical quality. The previous model is opposite: not good. 55-250mm IS lens is also a great lens. You should re-check the reviews regarding the lenses:

EF-S 18-55 IS (scroll down for verdict):

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/181-canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f35-56-is-test-report--review?start=2

EF-S 55-250 IS (scroll down for verdict):

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/194-canon-ef-s-55-250mm-f4-56-is-test-report--review?start=2

What comes for photo editing software's, you should try out the software package which came with your camera (Digital Photo Professional). And there's nothing which prevents you from downloading & installing Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1 -- 30 day trial version for a test drive.

carnaga's gear list:carnaga's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow