Started Jun 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gordon7373
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In search of the ideal camera
Jun 11, 2012

It is so frustrating that I cannot find a camera that ticks all the boxes for me. You would think that with the plethora of cameras on the market you could, at least, come close. But no - the majority are so similar in concept and very few are prepared to go out on a limb and re-define the "serious" camera.

I like dials - the more the merrier. I find it a superior method of camera control, unlike all these fiddly buttons we see today. We have never improved on the old set-up of a shutter speed dial on the camera and an aperture ring on the lens. Full marks to Fuji for going the way of the X-Pro1 - not perfect but certainly a step in the right direction. They have a monumental task with producing an entire new lens system with aperture rings. Oh, how I wish the major players would go this way, but, of course, they cant - far too many lenses already in their systems and out there to change now.

BUT THEN I HAD AN EPIPHANY! Since the aperture is controlled from the camera body - why not put an aperture dial on the camera??? I can envisage the ideal camera having a shutter speed dial and an aperture dial side by side on the top plate. This would particularly suit the mirror-less systems as they do not need the prism hump which compromises space. And all the existing lenses can still be used. I like the Fuji's exposure compensation dial too, and would also like to see that incorporated in the ideal camera. Any serious photographer should be constantly making adjustments.

So, everyone, I would be most interested to hear your opinions on this topic. I am currently using a Lumix GH-2 and have most of the lenses available. I would love for Panasonic to produce an alternative body with these 3 dials on top. Then I would be getting close to happy.
Anyone have any other ideas of what's missing from your "ideal camera"?

Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow