Started Jun 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Strachan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183Gear list
Like?
Film work flow in a Digital Age
Jun 11, 2012

Armchair shopping is wonderful really. A superb screw in lens Canon 35mm f2 on a screw mount Canon P Rangefinder. The sound of the stainless steel shutters as …”shlick” and the one stroke super smooth wind-on. Have some Leica stuff coming soon too; a IIIf and an M5, both rangefinders. Practically, it’s taking me less time to check the knobs and settings, than it does tooling around with electronic cameras…menus… pushing endless buttons and scrolling difficult wheels.

The shear joy of a camera with soul! And my images show it too! Judging the light, and turning milled metal wheels…yuuuumm!

So my workflow going back to film is…

1. shoot 100 iso film B&W (I develop) and might scan some negs on my CanoScan 8800F. The desktop scanner does an average job, and is dirt cheap machinery. It does 12 negs at a time. Or I can look carefully at my negs, doing some “pixel peeping” using strong lenses and even microscopes.

2 shoot 100 iso colour film processed to negatives, 36 6x4 prints, and a CD of 36, 3-5Mb images at my local Photo Processing Kiosk/shop.

Its not very difficult! And ends up Aus$ 1 (US$=Aus$ approx) per print and image burned, and still ultra archival on film. Best of all worlds really.

Except for cost. Obviously one shoots more judiciously with film.

The prints are great to look at, and nice and sharp; it seems better scanned than the small file scans off the negs (on the accompanying CD).

The files on the CD don’t stand up to any scrutiny. They are low res scanned, over sharpened, and look particularly awful past 150%. Take them for what they are, and enjoy new colours and renderings with film.

So if I capture an image I want to print big…just get the neg scanned high res to any size I want. This costs money for specialty high res scan…but I’d budget at least $10 to have it done properly for a big beautiful print. Not much money really.

B&W film can be processed at home or sent to the Photo Shop where they will have the film developed for again total, for film cost and developing about $1 buck, per frame. Scan at home, or have the Photo Shop do a cheap and cheerfull scan onto CD.

Anyone else using film??
Anyone else using 1950’s to 1980’s rangefinder cameras?

Cheers Dave S

David Strachan's gear list:David Strachan's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Leica M8 Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow