What tripod head for birding?

Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Re: What tripod head for birding?
In reply to Alton (TN), Jun 11, 2012

The gimbals are best suited for the super-teles, 300 f/2.8 and larger. If you are not in the market for one in the near future, then all you need is a good ball head. Any Gitzo, Manfrotto or Really Right Stuff ball head with the arca-Swiss style clamps will provide solid support for a 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f/4 or 100-400. The gimbal is overkill for these lenses. I use a RRS BH-55 for lenses of this size and it's pretty easy to track birds in flight with this type of setup. Remember that you will also need replacement feet for the lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow