Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dale Laviolette
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
Which Camcorder for Middle School Football
Jun 10, 2012

Here's the story: A friend wants me to record his son's middle school football games this fall. He will be buying a camcorder for me to use and is having me tell him which one to get. I have never been a video shooter but have 20 years of still experience and equipment. We know we want these videos to be elevated by at least 10' high on the sidelines. To accomplish this, I have my own 20ft (up to 20ft; homebrew) monopod. I've got a wireless remote wide angle viewing system (Hahnel Inspire; look for it on amazon) for my DSLR that will work independent of any particular camera. This will allow me to get a relative idea of what I'm shooting.

So now you know what I'm starting with, here's a list of what I think I need in a camcorder:

1) 1080p HD
2) battery that can cover a whole football game
3) storage that can cover a whole football game

4) Image stabilizer: even though I'll be on a monopod, there will be some shake to smooth out and the IS is just good to have on any optical device.
5) Here's the big one: LANC connection for remote control

The last point (5) brings me to my second questions. Which LANC remote to get?

My friend is saying he'll spend whatever it takes, but I'd like to keep it within reason. I'm thinking $600 would be the high end, but would like to keep to around $400. I'm partial to Canon from my DLSRs but would stray if persuaded.

I'm also looking for any tips on the task of recording these games. His kid will be the starting quarterback and he is good. He needs good video coverage through these next few years (especially when he gets to high school).

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow