Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,482Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M5 spare batteries?
In reply to kenw, Jun 10, 2012

kenw wrote:

Anders W wrote:

I find at least two different types of generics with rated capacities of 1450 mAh and 1999 mAh, respectively. Did you get the 1450s? And when you say they are about 1000, do you mean that they are actually not good for more in spite of their rating?

How many mAh are in a battery totally depends on what voltage you test to. Besides outright lying that's the other approach to "boosting" the reported capacity of a cell - let it drain to a lower voltage. Of course that really doesn't make it any more useful in your camera ;).

I strongly suspect every generic out there is around 1000mAh using the discharge voltage typically used by manufacturers. The Olympus gets more (1200mAh) as it is actually a different kind of cell with a larger capacity and higher starting voltage (8.6V for Olympus vs. 8.35V for the generics). All other stated capacities for generics are almost certainly the typical marketing exaggeration we always see with the third party batteries.

I got some from a US E-bay seller for slightly more than the ones coming from Asia (obviously they are all probably roughly the same, I just wanted faster shipping from someone who and already imported a bunch to the US). Specifically I got these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150824061700

Here is a tear down someone did of one generic:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four-thirds-standard-4-3-m43/1086996-omd-em5-spare-battery-get-3.html#post7913211

Thanks again Ken! Very informative, including the tear-down. Still seems like the best solution at the moment. I rarely shoot more than one fully charged battery in a single "outing". But I don't like the idea of having to charge the battery just about every day just to be sure it's fully charged when I need it. So the generics do seem to be the best solution for now.

Weird that Olympus can't meet demand for their original batteries (that would seem like a simple thing to ensure in advance) and sell them for a reasonable price. As things currently stand, they are just losing business for no good reason.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow