Olympus E-420/450 and legacy lenses using adapter...

Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dennis
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
Olympus E-420/450 and legacy lenses using adapter...
Jun 10, 2012

I am quite close to picking up a E-420/450 as a kind of backup camera. One thing I have thought about, was the use of legacy optics like a good bright 50 mm prime using an adapter. So while the focal length of course will effectively be doubled (technically not correct; the sensor is just smaller), I have just a few questions for clarification:

• Will the aperture remain the same? Like a f=50 mm 1:1,8 will become a f=100 mm 1:1,8?

• And given that focus of course will be manual, will the distance scale on the lens still be correct? No multiplication factor, right?

• Anything special to be aware of when looking for the adapter? I understand they do not contain any active components (e.g. ROM circuitry), right?

I know that focusing may not be the same thing as with the film camera due to the lack of a "proper" focusing screen, but still could be a bit of fun...

Dennis's gear list:Dennis's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S9100 Olympus C-2040 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-420
Olympus E-420
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow