Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,459
Like?
Good lenses show less noise.
In reply to SoCalBeachBum, Jun 10, 2012

SoCalBeachBum wrote:

a few rookie questions on noise:

1-does lens quality and sharpness affect noise? I would like to reduce noise in my landscape photos done for HDR processing. my Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 on Canon 60D yields some great shots and some not so great. I shoot with tripod in RAW at ISO 100. do sharper lenses yield less noise?

Noise tends to be hidden in those image areas where there is a lot of interchange of tone, so yes, images with lots of intricate details do tend to exhibit less noticeable noise.

Naturally, this does nothing to hide the same noise in any areas that are lacking in detail, skies being an obvious case in point, so the noise will still be there, and plain to see because there is nothing much else to see where there isn't detail.

However, since post production sharpening tends to increase visible noise in ALL areas of an image, detailed or plain-toned, any lens which needs LESS after-sharpening to give an acceptably sharp-looking result...

... will also show a smoother result in those detail-less areas in question.

In short.. lenses that need less sharpening in post production tend to show a better noise signature in all areas of the image, although two different mechanisms are at work in achieving this.

Final Point:

Don't get hung up about noise. People worry about it far too much. Indeed, a little noise is often helpfully. In printing it smooths out gradations in those important plain-toned areas, and so prevents banding.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz

"Ahh... But the thing is, they were not just ORDINARY time travellers!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow