Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phredd
Regular MemberPosts: 321
Like?
Buy the TG-1 ?
Jun 10, 2012

I've been comparing waterproof cameras for a while and I've narrowed down my choice, but I'm having a tough (no pun intended) time pulling the trigger on the TG-1. In most cases, the image quality appears much better than the AW100, my second choice. I'm wondering if the IQ is really so much better or if I'm being fooled by post processing in the camera.

I normally buy Canon, but the DC20 is bulky without purpose and the display in certain situations shows annoying random noise. I like the AW100 for its size and the IQ is fairly good compared to the TG-1, but the interface can be annoying, especially the shake "feature." I really like the interface on the TG-1. Although I miss the dedicated macro and flash buttons, the interface is very intuitive and it's easy to access all settings and it's plain to see what has been set. The only downsides to the TG-1 are bulk, weight and cost. I understand that a lot of that is due to the large lens which definitely helped get crisper shots in the dimmer evening light.

What had me wondering about the post processing is that I thought if the TG-1 is so good, maybe Olympus' second in line, the 820, which is so much smaller and cheaper, would do well compared to the AW100 and give me an interface I could enjoy. The 820 IQ seems horrible,* not to mention that the joystick is nowhere near as easy to use as the D-pad on the TG-1. That aside, why would there be such a difference in IQ. Is it due to different post-processing? Can the parameters be changed?

Any other thoughts on comparing these cameras?

• I only took a few shots with the 820. I'll have more time with it next week.

Nikon Coolpix AW100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow