85mm 1.4D - newbie needs help evaluating lens sharpness

Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
Rogier Bos
Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?
Re: 85mm 1.4D - newbie needs help evaluating lens sharpness
In reply to VadymA, Jun 10, 2012

So, please let me know your professional opinion. Is the softness at 1.4 within norm or not? Is there anything that I should be doing differently for better evaluation? I remember reading about something like aligning body with lens but didn't have a chance to find it in the manual. Is this something that I should do? I wanted to post this question to make sure I have enough time before return period expires. Unfortunately I can only allocate very limited amount of time for shooting/reading during the day. Appreciate your help.

Vadym,

I have the same camera and lens. Looking at your images I find myself thinking: "Yep, I would not be surprised by the same results". At f1.4 the 85mm/f1.4D lens can sometimes be a bit soft. The lens really shines at f8 — like most lenses.

You might try the lens allignment function on the camera, although I am not sure it is going to help you much: it does not look like at f1.4 there is completely accurate focus anywhere. The lens allignment simply moves the focus a bit forward or backward. But if there is no complete focus to begin with anywhere...

In any case, the lens alignment function is in your camera under Setup Menu > AF fine tune.

I'd be curious to hear other responses to Vadym's question. I am actually considering exchanging the lens for the 1.4G or the 1.8G of the same focal length.

Rogier
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow