How to take Lightning pictures?

Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shawn1971
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Re: How to take Lightning pictures?
In reply to RevsCam, Jun 10, 2012

Wow, that's an awesome Pic!

So, based on a few of the responses I will have to experiment between an F stop of 4 -5.6, ISO at 100, and 8 - 15 sec exposures.

I have had a good bit of practice taking long exposure pictures from my earlier post about my trip to Niagra falls. I was using a tripod and 2 sec timer.

But, I am little confused about how the camera works now.

You mentioned when taking a 15 sec exposure the camera takes a 2nd during the next 15 secs.... I just thought that was the camera was processing the picture??

If that isn't the case, and it's taking a reference for background, what would happen if you pointed the camera towards a light source during what I thought was the processing period? I bet you might get some really neat light effects right ?

In some of the pictures I took of the Falls, I am pretty sure I may have moved the camera once I thought the picture was taken and the timer was processing.

We are supposed to get some storms on Tues. I am hoping they get here in the evening so I can try everyone's ideas out.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow