Started Jun 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
d altman
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?
Opinions on optimal settings/method on 5N to lock focus and recompose
Jun 10, 2012

First off, thanks for reading and for any assistance. I am a new NEX 5N shooter. My previous camera was a 5D MII. Life threw me a screwball and I am unable to hold a heavy camera so I am loving the size of the 5N.

In the past on the 5D MII I had a custom button set up so that I could place subject in center, press custom button to lock focus and then recompose and shoot. I have read through numerous threads here and want to make sure I have this all setup properly and I'm doing things efficiently.

Here are my settings:

In Camera:
AF/MF Select = DMF
Autofocus area = Center
Object Tracking = On

In Setup:
Peaking Level = Low
Peaking Color = Red
MF Assist = On

What I have been doing is put subject in center and half press the shutter button and tap the center of screen with my finger. Then I release the shutter button, recompose and then half press the shutter and fine tune the focus manually and press shutter completely. This works but for some reason doesn't seem the most efficient, particularly the tapping on the screen. Without tapping on screen, the main subject wasn't being tracked so when I would recompose and fine tune, the main subject wasn't locked.

Thanks again for any thoughts or advice on this.

Darrin

d altman's gear list:d altman's gear list
RX100 III Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +1 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow