Weekend MONOCHROME #84 |08-10 June| Post yours!

Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
LouHolland
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,939Gear list
Like?
Re: B&W can be better than color, but not always...
In reply to Rich Z, Jun 9, 2012

Yeah Richz, I understand your difficulties and also that every single shot has to be judged on it's own possebilities, but sometimes you've to strengthen on individual colours to get a decent MONO from it. Why? well it seems that you've worked in the analoge time with filters like yellow, red, blue etc. and this is now all possible in the digital darkroom from one shot to use on luminance levels and that is a big advantage. But you're doing well Richz.

Lou

-

Rich Z wrote:

Some pix should be color, I think. I worked on all of these at length, trying to make them as viewable as the color versions. I picked shots with meaningful color, not just vivid, to make it harder. I made it impossible instead, at my level expertise in B&W conversion. I need to learn more. Rich

Freshwater Lagoon crossed by Highway 101, the only through road along the Pacific Coast of the U.S. It sure doesn't look like this along Highway 101 in or near San Francisco or Los Angeles. Rural living certainly has its advantages.
Two panel panorama.
E5, ZD 12-60, 12mm, ISO 100, 1/250, f10.

See what I mean?

Big Lagoon with its tenuous spit which is usually broken by Pacific storms in Winter. So here, the highway goes around the inside of the lagoon.
E5. ZD 12-60, 12mm, ISO 100, 1/250, f10.

North end of Big Lagoon spit. Looking North toward Point St. George. This version needs more tone/contrast work. I'm not done with it, but had enough of it, for now.
E5, ZD 12-60, 35mm, ISO 100, 1/250, f11.

Color version works better for me in this one, too. Blue skies have been very rare along the Northern California coast for quite a while. This day, The Pacific really soaked up the blue.

http://photobucket.com/dfr49_pix

LouHolland's gear list:LouHolland's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
IrisNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow