Started Jun 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,804
Like?
5D-III Dark focus point - call Canon
Jun 9, 2012

Call your national Canon company and complain ..... WHY: see below...

The 5D-III focus system is really quite excellent. However, if you are using AI-SERVO when working with dark backgrounds (such a modern dance), dark subjects (due to costume, etc), it is very difficult to see the focus point in use. In single shot, spot focus mode, at least the focus point blinks when you half-press the shutter button or press AF-ON. The same blink DOES NOT occur when half-pressing the shutter button or pressing the AF-ON button in AI-SERVO. Of course, the manual does document that "this is the way it is supposed to work".

If you use the 5D-II and 1D-III or 1D-IV in AI-SERVO mode, pressing the button at least blinks the chosen focus point on and off in bright red. The 1D-IV goes one step further and leaves the focus point bright for 5 seconds. At least with these cameras, you can clearly know the exact placement of the focus point no matter what the colour is of background or subject. I can see no reason why Canon departed from this convention when implementing the 5D-III.

It seems to me that ALL 5d-III users should want some better visual clues when shooting the otherwise excellent camera in difficult lighting/subject condition. I suggest that everyone call your national Canon office and strongly request that AI-SERVO mode should blink on/off the red point indicator whenever the shutter is half pressed or the AF-ON button is pressed. This is consistent with the action in Single Shot mode and is also consistent with the action of high end Canon cameras for the past 10 years.

To me, this should be a trivial firmware change since button detection and focus point blinking are already implemented for single shot - but Canon will not do anything about it unless a fairly large number of people complain.
--
tony
http://www.tphoto.ca

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow