Fibonacci number (?) or sequence (?) in photography. Please explain simply.

Started Jun 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
luisflorit
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,862Gear list
Like?
Re: Fibonacci number (?) or sequence (?) in photography. Please explain simply.
In reply to Detail Man, Jun 9, 2012

Detail Man wrote:

luisflorit wrote:

... Just because you generally don't have to place your subject dead centered for composition does not mean that it has some relationship with the golden ratio 2/(1+sqrt(5)) ~ 0.61803398874989484820... Actually, not even with 2/3 ~ 0.66666... (rule of thirds).

Where to place your subject depends on each picture, and 0.61 or 0.62 would not make any visual difference no mater which subject and picture.

Sometimes I follow the "Rule of Halfs" religiously ... but the most versatile approach is the conservative approach of "Rule of Leave Some Slop" (when capturing), followed by the "Rule of Carefully Crop" (in processing) - as (at least my own) eyes are very sensitive to placement of subject matter, but I never know quite what will please them most until I crop in post-processing.

Absolutely. Each picture demands it's own aesthetics.

Even for cropping. Some people claim that you have to maintain the Full Frame ratio (24/36 = 2/3) when cropping because it's the aesthetic ratio. Truth is that the Full Frame size origin was a manufacturing decision based on economy of materials that had nothing to do with any "magic" aesthetic ratio.

BTW, the people that spread this kind of things, would allow me to use 13/21 instead of the golden ratio?

L.

-
My gallery: http://luis.impa.br/photo/new

Oly E5/E3 + 12-60 + 50-200 + EC14 + EC20 + FL50R
Pany FZ50 + Oly FL50 + TCON17 + Raynox 150 & 250

luisflorit's gear list:luisflorit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow