NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 2,979Gear list
Like?
Re: If you want it light ...
In reply to eques, Jun 9, 2012

eques wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

eques wrote:

After a long search I got the Sirui G10 for 85.- €. A joy to use!

Here a ballhead comparison:
http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/ballhead/ballheads.php .

If you don't read German: Sirui ballheads were best in all price-classes compared with ballheads by Arca-Swiss, Benro, Feisol, Sirui, RRS, Markins, Manfrotto, Novoflex, Gitzo and others. Exception is the class over 200 €: all Sirui ballheads cost less. The K20x (115 €) is even tested better than the RRS BH-55 (420 €). Best are Feisol CB 40 D (130 €) and Manfrotto 468 (250 €).

I hope this helps. - Peter.

Looks good, mate, but at 300g it weighs almost as much as an M43 camera body.

Personally, I'm looking for a lighter option. The BH25 is only 220g including clamp, but as mentioned earlier isn't so great for panorama shooting and lacks friction control, I think.

... for travel/hiking I use the SLIK sprint pro II: 960 g = 0,960 kg including the not too bad ballhead and clamp.

Max height 185 cm, min height 15 cm, traveling length 50 cm incl. ballhead, price 70 € incl. ballhead and clamp.

Of course, not so great for panorama shooting and lacks friction control. I never tried it with a long and heavy lens, I have only had some macro fun.

Peter.

Yeah, I've heard good reports of the Slik Sprint Pro II and I even looked into buying it at one stage. However, for me it would be only a minor upgrade over the tripod I'm already using (Velbon CX888 with pan head, which came free with my E-P3). When I do upgrade, I intend to move up a couple of notches in quality. The Velbon only weighs 200g more than the Slik and packs down smaller.

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow