Absolutely No Numbers Allowed

Started Jun 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,950
Like?
Re: It is wrong to put all numbers in the same bag ! - BUSTED *~<|:-)
In reply to rrr_hhh, Jun 9, 2012

rrr_hhh wrote:

Just think to the way we evaluate the people or objects in our environment. I'm used to the metrical system, so if someone tells me (by email) he is 1.62 meter high and 75kg I will immediately and intuitively know it will be a rather fat person.. But if I'm told the same in feet and ponds, I'll have no idea. Once in the US I hired a car and it was all very puzzling, I had no idea at what speed I was running because mph were not telling at all. Once home, I made some unit conversion and realized that I had been driving much faster than here (that Pontiac Gran Am was much less noisy than my own car which helped to fool me). If some DOF calculator was only computing in inches an feet, I'd get lost, but not if I know that the DOF will be 50cm at a distance of three meters. If some one tells me a camera allows you to print 8x10" perfectly sharp, I have no idea what that means, but for an A2 or A3 I will know what the camera is able to do. Etc.. Etc.. On FF, I know exactly what kind of angle of view will give me a 45mm lens, on an APSC format, I'll have to make complicated computations especially for Canon with its 1.6 crop factor. (btw this is what I liked with mft, the 2x crop factor makes it easy to figure out).

BUSTED !!! ... YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO AN ATTORNEY. IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD AN ATTORNEY, ONE WILL BE APPOINTED FOR YOU BY THE COURT ... NERD ALERT !!! ...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow