Started Jun 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jumpingjack
Regular MemberPosts: 460
Like?
RX100 Video Quality/Capability?
Jun 9, 2012

I have a dilemma. Whenever I go on the family holidays I normally prefer to take photos. Sometimes I create a video but I never do both. It is just too much hard work and I use a Canon 60D with 3-4 lenses so to carry all that and Video stuff is just too much when on holiday.

This year I want to shoot video as I have done one for a few years and I currently have a Panasonic SD600 which is a mighty fine camcorder. I was considering buying a Canon S100 to take along as a quality compact camera so if I wanted to take some photos alongside the video I could without lugging all the DSLR kit with me on this occasion.

Then I saw the release of the RX100 which looks like a mighty fine compact camera with a price tag to go with it. Then I got to thinking, perhaps if I sold my Panasonic SD600 which would fund about 2/3 of the cost of the RX100 then I could perhaps just take the RX100 and use this for both video and photo. While I know it is early days for the RX100 and some photo examples seem to be appearing which look good, I can't really find anything yet that gives clear examples of the video that this new camera produces.

When I do shoot video I tend to use a monopod as I really don't like too much shaking about on the final editing and I do like a nice crisp HD finish. I know the RX100 shoots HD and I think I have read that it does seem to have some sort of stabalisation?

On the presumption that the photos it produces are going to be of a decent quality, do you think that the RX100 could be good enough to replace a dedicated HD camcorder also?

Just taking a "camcorder" and camera this size when my focus this year is on video would be bliss if the quality was satisfactory on both.

Canon EOS 60D Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow