FIRST body - sports shots indoors - have I done enough research?

Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
Re: FIRST body - sports shots indoors - have I done enough research?
In reply to Avery11, Jun 9, 2012

In your price range, the Pentax K5 and Nikon D7000 might be the best sports shooters to choose from. I just don't know Sony nor ever see Sony cameras used much where I do photography. It's mostly Nikon and Canon. That is not an indictment of Sony products at all.

Taking images of kids sports is a part time profession because I enjoy it, not because I need that income. It doesn't amount to much of my photography income, but it's fun. If you're really really serious about taking good indoor sports or good outdoor sports at night, then you'll probably want to go full frame and spend more money. I like the Nikon D700, but a nice Canon 5D MKII would work too. The D700 is going to set you back $2200 right off. You'll then need a fast lens. I use an older 80-200 f/2.8 or any number of other lenses based on need, but I'd advise the 70-200 f/2.8 AFS VRII. Same price as the camera.

Now you're doing indoor sports right. You'll also want an 85mm of some sort and then a wide zoom to finish you off. You'll be in this for double or more than your budget stated but you'll actually be getting what will truly do the job if you do your part. You'll be moving away from plastic cameras which features designed to appeal to point and shooters. You will have quality usable images from fairly dim gyms and swimming pools. You'll be able to actually work a soccer field with just the electrical lighting provided. You'll be really able to freeze your son's kicks. You'll do all this with big beautiful pixels. See the dust bust off the bat as your child smacks that ball into outfield.

Hand Held late night lite by some xmas lights ten feet away. Nikon D700 85 f/1.4 at 1/10 th of a second. No stabilization to help. ISO 6400. It's not the best, but very usable at those crazy numbers.

Think about it. I just don't have that many examples of dim stuff because I don't use high ISOs. I love full frame for the color and beauty of it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow