Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Wally626
Senior MemberPosts: 1,518
Like?
Re: Sony RX100 is it REALLY 1"?
In reply to villebon, Jun 9, 2012

villebon wrote:

prophotog wrote:

I am puzzled. The specs indicate that the sensor is "one inch" but when I do the math, the longest side looks closer to a half inch. Even diagonally it doesn't seem to add up. Am I missing something?

No, you are not missing anything. The sensor is not 1" in any way you want to measure it.

To fool everyone, Sony took a measuring convention that dates back to 1950, way, way before digital camera were even imagined.

So that stupid convention says: take the diagonal of the sensor and multiply it by 1.5 and voila, you've got your 1 inch sensor.

So now, Sony can make a claim about larger sensor than it is in reality.

In the early days of video, cameras used vacuum tube based sensors and for the 1-inch sensor the vacuum tube was 1-inch in diameter. The flat sensor area was of course slightly smaller. m4/3 uses the same convention with m4/3 sensor being smaller than 4/3-inch. The larger sensors tend to be based on film formats as old video tubes were not that large. Even in modern times video sensors are just now reaching 135 film sizes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow