ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,225Gear list
Like?
If anyone still wonders about 4/3rds future, read this-
Jun 8, 2012

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/corc/ir/tes/pdf/nr120608.pdf

Once again, Olympus- the company- is saying, very clearly, they are focusing on mirrorless (said a few times now) and high end compact cameras (new).

If you look at page 25 they are basically admitting Canikon has the market and it's pretty much no use going against them.

Page 27- the re-structuring of the imaging business has zero mention of any DSLR 4/3rds. Someone may say "hey but it says mirrorless cameras, not 4/3rds or m4/3rds" - every single reference of mirror less always shows m4/3rds and so does its "line" of development.

I for one completely agree with them. So what about E-7 and the e-xxx rumors? I actually think the E-7 will now happen and the E-xxx may very well happen. They will be probably models done with a minimum R&D but with a new sensor (good). A token marketing statement of support for us with 4/3rd lenses.

On the end of the brand and supporting the 4/3rds user, that's not too bad. By the time of an "E-8" micro four thirds should have their first pro model. Whether it can focus 4/3rd lenses well or not, I think at that point the capability difference may be high enough that more than 30% of the remaining base won't care.

4/3rd lenses will stop being made, and just naturally sell out of stock over time.

My guesstimate of course.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow