Zeiss 21mm and Nikon 14-24 on D800 (Part II)

Started Jun 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DvD5
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?
Zeiss 21mm and Nikon 14-24 on D800 (Part II)
Jun 8, 2012

In part I ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1030&message=41734658 ), I looked at resolution, bokeh, and a bit at color. In this part, I'll compare the flare characteristics of the two lenses.

The following shots were made with the lens shade on the Zeiss (and obviously on the Nikon since it is non-removable). Shots were made at f/8 which is a typical landscape aperture. No filters were used on the lenses, and the front elements were meticulously cleaned prior to shooting.

No tripod was used as I needed to put the camera in odd positions/angles and sharpness wasn't critical.

I found that I was able to induce very nasty flare and ghosting in both lenses, though it was a bit easier to induce in the Nikon. In both lenses, I was able to see the flare in the viewfinder and adjust the angle slightly to eliminate or substantially reduce the flare.

Here are the examples. As with the other tests, the Zeiss is on the left, Nikon 14-24 on the right.

I was a little surprised by this one on the Zeiss as the entire right hand side is washed out by veiling flare:

Again, I was trying to induce the worst flare possible in each lens.

My Summary: It is a toss-up. Huge flare can be induced in either lens depending on where the light source is in the frame. In most cases, the flare can be minimized or eliminated by re-positioning the light source.

Don
--
http://www.dvd5.zenfolio.com

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow